Going through a difficult and often uncertain illness is hard. Watching your loved one go through it can seem even harder. That’s why Bronson offers palliative care for patients and their families.
Bronson’s Palliative Care Service treats the whole person. We do this by combining medical treatment with emotional support. A caring team of providers is committed to making you as comfortable as possible.
What is palliative care?
Palliative care is medical care. It focuses on relieving pain, symptoms and stress of patients and families facing complex or life-threatening conditions.
Many people think palliative care is only for end of life patients. At Bronson, palliative care is available to all patients from infants to the elderly. Patients may receive care along with medical treatment for the specific health condition. This helps them stay as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
- Palliative care includes:
- Medical evaluation
- Pain and symptom management
- Treatment recommendations
- Help making complex medical decisions
- Help with difficult decisions about the goals of life
- Access to staff who can answer your and your family's questions about your health
- Coordinating home health services
- Support to help ease physical, mental and spiritual suffering
Who can benefit from palliative care?
People of all ages can benefit from palliative care. This includes those with:
- a serious, complex or life-threatening medical condition
- a health condition that is expected to get worse
- pain or other symptoms that affect quality of life
- difficult choices to make about their care
- frequent readmissions to the hospital
- spiritual or psychological needs
Palliative Care Team
Physicians, nurses, medical social workers and pastoral care staff make up the care team. Team members work with you and your doctor to assess pain and symptoms. They also bring in other healthcare professionals, if needed. These include dietitians, physical therapists, mental health professionals, case managers and others. Each healthcare professional offers a different type of expertise.
Members of the care team can help improve communication. They can also help you make decisions during treatment. Respecting the goals, wishes and choices of your family is very important.
To Request a Consultation
If you or your loved one could benefit from palliative care, call (269) 341-7339 to request an adult, perinatal or children's consultation.
Bronson Palliative Care Service
601 John Street, Box 71
Kalamazoo, MI 49007