Bronson Children's Hospital North Country Trail Hike
Dr. Aaron Lane-Davies, medical director of Bronson Children's Hospital, is embarking on a long journey - one step at a time. Over four summers, Dr. Lane-Davies is hiking the Michigan section of the North Country Trail. He invites you to follow his journey.
This summer, Dr. Lane-Davies, colleagues, family and friends hiked the stretch of the North Country Trail that includes Tahquamenon Falls and Pictured Rocks in Michigan's upper peninsula.
To support Dr. Lane Davies effort, click on Donate Today and make a donation to the Pediatric Specialists Endowment.
Dr. Lane-Davies is doing this hike to not only raise awareness and support for Bronson Children's Hospital and its pediatric patients but he wants to highlight this long journey that is accomplished one step at a time - much like philanthropy to support Bronson Children's Hospital requires long term vision and planning.
Dr. Lane-Davies began this journey the summer of 2014 and he will hike the entire Michigan section of the North Country Trail (NCT).
The Appalachia Trail (AT) stretches 2180 miles from Maine to Georgia. The Paciﬁc Crest Trail (PCT) runs 2650 miles along the Sierra Nevada from Canada to Mexico. At 4600 miles, the North Country National Scenic Trail is the longest of the National Scenic Trails.
The NCT spans the upper eastern and midwestern United States passing through New York (beginning at the Vermont border), Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and North Dakota. The Michigan section includes approximately 1100 miles of trail (600 in the lower peninsula and 500 in the upper).
Dr. Lane-Davies put together this video from his hike in June of 2016. Check out the sights, sounds and people that make this adventure so rewarding.
Each section of Dr. Lane-Davies hike consists of approximately 100-200 mile segments lasting 4-7 days.
SUMMER 2014 - 224.2 miles
Segment 1 -95.2 miles
Michigan/Ohio Border to Battle Creek
- May 29, 2014 — Territorial Road at Michigan/Ohio Border to Hillsdale. 25.2 miles.
- May 30, 2014 — Hillsdale to Homer. 23.8 miles.
- May 31, 2014 — Homer to Marshall. 24.7 miles.
- June 1, 2014 — Marshall to Battle Creek. 21.5 miles.
Segment 2 - 41.9 miles
Battle Creek through Yankee Springs Recreation Area
- August 16, 2014 — Battle Creek to Kelly Road (north of Gull Lake). 17.4 miles.
- August 17, 2014 — Kelly Road to Peets Road Trailhead. 24.5 miles.
Segment 3 - 64.9 miles
Yankee Springs Recreation Area to Rockford
- September 19, 2014 — Peets Road Trailhead to Lowell (NCT headquarters)— 24 miles.
- September 20, 2014 — Lowell to Seidman Park/Honey Creek Avenue— 22.5 miles.
- September 21, 2014 — Seidman Park/Honey Creek Avenue to Rockford— 18.4 miles.
Segment 4 - 22.2 miles
Rockford to 22 Mile Road
- October 18, 2014 — Rockford to 22 Mile Road — 22.2 miles.
SUMMER 2015 - 235.4 miles
Segment 5 - 110.4 miles
22 Mile Road to Freesoil Trailhead
- May 27, 2015 — 22 Mile Road to M-37/Twinwood Lake Campground— 30.5 miles.
- May 28, 2015 — M-37/Twinwood Lake Campground to NCT Schoolhouse— 19.5 + miles.
- May 29, 2015 — NCTA Schoolhouse to Highbank Lake Campground— 17 miles
- May 30, 2015 — Highbank Lake Campground to Timber Creek Campground — 24 miles.
- May 31, 2015 — Timber Creek Campground to Freesoil Trailhead— 19.4 miles.
Segment 6 - 40.7 miles
Freesoil Trailhead to Hodenpyl Dam
- September 9, 2015 — Freesoil Trailhead to Blacksmith Bayou Campground — 19.4 miles.
- September 10, 2015 — Blacksmith Bayou Campground to Hodenpyl Dam— 21.3 miles.
Segment 7 - 84.3 miles
Hodenpyl Dam to Hagni Road
- October 1, 2015 — Hodenpyl Dam to Highbanks Rollway— 22.6 miles.
- October 2, 2015 — Highbanks Rollway to Fife Lake— 21.2 miles.
- October 3, 2015 — Fife Lake to Guernsey Lake— 24 miles.
- October 4, 2015 — Guernsey Lake to Hagni Road— 16.5 miles.
Segment 8 - 82.5 miles
Hagni Road (near Kalkaska) to Petosky
- June 2, 2016 - Hagni Road to Sand Lake, 19 miles
- June 3, 2016 - Scholl Road to Giem Road, 29 Miles
- June 4, 2016 - Giem Road to Grace Grange Lodge, 22 miles
- June 5, 2016 - Grace Grange Lodge to Bayfront Park in Petosky, 13 miles
Segment 9 - 56.2 miles
Petosky to St. Ignace
- July 23, 2016 - Petoskey to Van Road, 23.7 miles
- July 24, 2016 - Van Road to Wilderness State Park, 19.1 miles
- July 25, 2016 - Wilderness State Park to the Mackinaw Bridge, 13.4 miles
Segment 10 - 80 miles
St. Ignace to Whitefish Bay
- September 29, 2016 - St. Ignace to Brevoort Lake National Forest Campground, 19 miles
- September 30, 2016 - Brevoort Lake National Forest Campground to Trout Lake Road, 24 miles
- October 1, 2016 - Trout Lake Road to Soldier Lake, 22 miles
- October 2, 2016 - Soldier Lake to Tahquamenon Bay, 17miles
If you would like to join Dr. Lane-Davies on his hike, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.