Healthcare professionals who care for neonates and seek the latest developments in their care.
- Define the term Gut-Brain Axis and its vulnerability in the preterm infant.
- Identify three long-term benefits of human milk that reduces morbidities throughout the life span.
- Provide an overview of the importance of generational culture on the childbirth experience.
- Discuss the antecedents of therapeutic hypothermia.
- Recognize the advantages of performing a functional assessment and optimizing non-pharmacologic interventions in the treatment of neonatal abstinence syndrome.
- Describe some of the research that drove the changes in the medical standard of care for treating neonates.
- Describe what defines pain and where that debate remains today.
- Acquire two behaviors that will increase your ability to stay engaged and thrive in an ever- changing healthcare environment.
Nursing Continuing Education
Contact hours may be available through Bronson Methodist Hospital. Please call call (269) 341-6287 or (269) 341-7713 for additional information about contact hours.
- 7:30 – 8 a.m. Registration and continental breakfast
- 8 – 8:10 a.m. Welcome
- 8:10 – 9:25 a.m. The Gut-Brain Axis: Can Nutrition Support Neuro-protection, Terry S. Johnson, APN, NNP-BC, CLEC, ASPPS, MN
- 9:25 - 9:55 a.m. Vendor exhibit and refreshments
- 11:10 – 12:10 a.m. Therapeutic Hypothermia: The “WHY” Behind Cooling to Manage Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy, Terry S. Johnson, APN, NNP-BC, CLEC, ASPPS, MN and Shelly Shafer, NNP
- 11:10 – 12:10 a.m. Pain in the Preborn, Robin Pierucci, MD
- 11:50 a.m. – 1 p.m. Lunch
- 1:10 – 2:10 p.m. Eat, Sleep, Console: Changing The Way We Manage NAS, Robin Pierucci, MD and Kim Holden, MSN, RNC-NIC
- 2:10 – 3:10 p.m. Millennial Culture and the Maternal Child Experience, Terry S. Johnson, APN, NNP-BC, CLEC, ASPPS, MN
- 3:10 – 3:40 p.m. Vendor Exhibit and Refreshments
- 3:40 – 4:40 p.m. Working and Thriving in a Changing Environment, Nancy Radcliff BA, RN
- 4:40 – 4:55 p.m. Door Prize Drawing and Adjourn
Terry S. Johnson, APN, NP-BC, ASPPS, CLEC, MN
Director, Education & Professional Development, Prolacta Bioscience
Founder, Lode Star Enterprises, Inc.
Robin Pierucci, MD, BA
NICU Medical Director, Bronson Children’s Hospital
Clinical Associate Professor, WMED
Shelly L. Schafer MSN, NNP-BC
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
Bronson Children's Hospital
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
- Katie Clark MSN, RN
- Melody Couch BSN, RN
- Janice Courtney
- Kim Holden MSN, RNC-NIC
- Shannon Morris BSN, RN
- Emily Senske BSN, RN
- Mary Steinke BSN, RNC-NIC
- Jackie Wahl, MSN, RN, NE-BC
For additional program/registration information, call (269) 341-6287 or (269) 341-7713.