Laboratory Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an appointment for a lab test?
Most lab tests do not require an appointment. However, if you need a glucose tolerance or ACTH stimulation test, call (269) 341-8700 for an appointment. No appointment needed for all other tests.

Should I fast (not eat) before my lab test?
A few tests do require fasting to include a fasting glucose and a lipid profile (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and homocysteine). If you must fast, do not eat or drink any liquid besides water for 12 hours before the test. You may continue to take any prescribed medicines.

Should I use a Bronson lab for all of my lab work?
While it isn’t necessary for you to use the same lab all of the time, it can be beneficial to you and to those who provide your medical care. When you use a Bronson lab consistently, for example, all of your lab results are consolidated into a single place where your doctors can review them at regular intervals, if needed.  If you have a Bronson MyChart account created, select results will be available for you to access if performed at a Bronson lab.  If you are a patient of a Bronson primary care or specialty practice, ask how you can set up your Bronson MyChart account at your next visit.

How can I get my test results?
Your doctor is the best person to contact for your test results, so call your doctor's office first. You do have a right to your medical records. If you need help obtaining your test results, you may call Bronson LakeView Health Information Management at (269) 657-1465 for instructions.

Can I request lab tests myself?
No. Michigan law requires that lab tests can be ordered only by approved medical professionals, such as doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

Can you tell me more about the tests that I’m having?
Many tests have more than one purpose. We are always happy to tell you the names of your tests, but we can’t tell you why you are having them performed. We do not know your medical history, and the person drawing your blood is not a doctor. If you have questions about a particular test, it’s important for you to talk to your provider.

What if I have questions about my bill?
If you have questions about your insurance policy coverage or deductibles that may apply to lab work, call your insurance carrier. For other questions related to your lab bill, call the Bronson LakeView Patient Billing department at (269) 657-1429, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where can I get more information about lab tests?
Your provider is the best source of information. Bronson's free health information service, Bronson HealthAnswers can also help. You can call them at (269) 341-7723 or (800) 451-6310 or email them at, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For other online resources, see the Laboratory Patient Education page.

HRA icon

Are you at risk? Take an online health risk assessment.

Start Now