Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadilla Recipe
Making healthy food choices is one way to Be Well and live a healthy lifestyle. At Bronson, we offer a variety of nutrition services for nearly every need. Check out this healthy recipe from our team of registered dietitians and nutrition educators.
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ½ cups mashed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ of a 1-ounce package low-sodium or salt free taco seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheese, any variety
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½-1 cup salsa (optional, for serving)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Scrub potatoes, removing any blemishes, and pierce with a fork or knife.
- Place potatoes in microwave and cook on high for 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, rinse and drain beans and place in a medium size bowl.
- Carefully remove potatoes from the microwave, cut them open and scoop the inside into the bowl with the beans.
- Add taco seasoning to potato/bean mixture and mash well with a masher or fork.
- Spread sweet potato/bean mixture on ½ of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese and green onion.
- Fold tortilla in half.
- Cook on a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Cool slightly and cut each tortilla into 4-6 pieces.
- Serve with salsa and enjoy!
Sweet potatoes should be firm and wrinkle free. Store them away from the sun in a cool, dry place.
Nutrition per serving (per quesadilla)
340 calories, 4.5g fat, 53g carbohydrate, 11g protein, 7g fiber, 230mg sodium
Download a printable version of this recipe
To view more healthy recipes and nutrition-related information from the nutrition experts at Bronson, click here.