Bronson Battle Creek Recognizes 2018 Excellence in Nursing Award Winners During Nurses' Week
Nurses throughout the Bronson Healthcare system were recognized during National Nurses’ Week from May 8 to 12, 2018. At Bronson Battle Creek, six nurses received awards based on key areas of the Nursing Professional Model of Care: leadership, compassion, respect, expertise and impact. Additionally, one nurse was recognized as a rising star for their ability to successful transition into a new nursing career. Honorees include:
- Melissa Hecht, BSN, RN, a nurse on the critical care unit, received the Nursing Excellence Leadership Award. “During a recent situation, Melissa helped me care for a patient who was deteriorating quickly. I had a gut instinct that something was not right, and she was relentless in getting support to the bedside quickly. She was able to get a whole team of physicians and surgeons to come to us. She did an amazing job that night. She also made me feel like a valuable member of the team and acknowledged the strengths I portrayed.”
- Brock DeGroot, RN, a nurse on the neurovascular unit, received the Nursing Excellence Compassion Award. “Brock always has his patients’ best interests at heart. He is often found providing compassionate care by listening to his patients at eye level. This helps him build a trusting nurse-to-patient relationship.”
- Candice Generi, BSN, RN, a float pool nurse, was selected for the Nursing Excellence Respect Award. “Candice embodies what it is to administer care in a respectful way. Her approach is one of listening and truly getting to the heart of her patients’ needs. She is always advocating for her patients so they feel included in their care plan. Also, she is an amazing voice for patients struggling with addiction. She works with them to find resources, even when options are limited.”
- Torri Rhoades, BSN, RN, OCN, an orthopedic nurse navigator, received the Nursing Excellence Expertise Award. “Torri took on the new role of orthopedic nurse navigator and ran with it. She is 100 percent engaged, present and committed to improving orthopedic care at our hospital. When I talk to patients who go to the total joint class she teaches, they often praise the class and tell me she is ‘awesome’.”
- Michele Thomas, BSN, RN, ONC, a nurse at the Bronson Cancer Care Center - Battle Creek, was presented with the Nursing Excellence Impact Award. “Michele is truly an exceptional nurse. She provides her patients with the information they need to heal, and fellow staff members with the information needed to treat our patients safely. Not to mention, she is willing to go above-and-beyond to deliver exceptional experiences for patients. She recently coordinated an event where our staff put on a performance for patients. The event was appreciated and very enjoyable for everyone.”
- Paige Greer, BSN, RN, a nurse on the neurovascular unit, was the recipient of the Rising Star Award. “There is not a week that goes by that Paige is not recognized by her patients or their families for the awesome care she provides. Even though she hasn’t been working as a nurse long, she is already an excellent teacher for her patients, has great conflict resolution skills, and has become involved in shared leadership!”
In addition to those listed above, eight nurses were recognized with the 2017 DAISY Award. Nominations for the DAISY Award are received throughout the year and honor nurses who meet patient and family needs by going above and beyond the traditional role of nursing. DAISY honorees include: Amy Babcock, MSN, RN, FNP-BC; Kimberly Black, RN; Jenna Burgess, BSN, RN; Pamela Klein, RN; Kathleen Madden, RN; Dawn Moore, BSN, RN; Pamela Nellis, RN; and Jenessa Smith, RN.
This year’s Nursing Excellence Award winners and DAISY Award winners represent the high caliber of nursing care at Bronson and are a testimony to the dedication our nursing staff has to provide exceptional care that exceeds patient and family expectations.
The public is also invited to recognize Bronson nurses throughout the year. Nurses may be honored online at bronsonthankanurse.com. If you have a story to share about a positive experience you have had at Bronson, you can share it online at bronsonpositivity.com.