Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Bronson Healthcare

Published on April 04, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In light of the recent carbon monoxide poisoning in southwest Michigan, Bronson Healthcare and Safe Kids Kalamazoo County remind the community of how to protect yourself and family from carbon monoxide. In a recent interview with Newschannel 3, Dr. David Hartman, an emergency physician at Bronson, explained how carbon monoxide can impact the body quickly, especially in young people. "Children are affected more readily than adults and we think that it's probably because they breathe faster, normally, and their bodies are smaller. It’s a very rare problem, but whenever we see it, it’s a very tragic outcome.”

Dr. Hartman says the symptoms can sometimes look like other illnesses, like the flu. "The symptoms are very vague. They include headache, nausea, vomiting. You may pass out. You may get chest pain."

In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause death. If you or others around you experience signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the building immediately, and call 9-1-1.

Deb Carpenter from Safe Kids Kalamazoo County says, “Just like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors can save lives. Be sure to test them frequently and replace them every five to seven years.” It’s also important to have them placed in every level your home, especially close to bedrooms.

To learn more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, click here.

Injury Prevention

Get tips on how to prevent injuries.

Learn More

Children's Hospital

We offer the region's only children's hospital.

Find Out More