Five Non-Physical Benefits of Exercise
Many people think of exercise as a way to stay in shape physically or improve their heart health – but there are several psychological benefits of working out, too. If you are looking for some motivation to get to the gym, look no further. Here are five ways exercise can give you a positive mood boost to help you get the most out of your day.
- Natural mood booster: Endorphins are hormones in the brain that reduce your perception of pain and trigger happiness. When you exercise, endorphins are released, causing you to feel happier almost instantly. Even if you don’t feel up for a full workout, a quick 30 minute routine can give your mood the lift it needs.
- Release stress and physical tension: Working out not only releases endorphins, but it can also help refocus your energy away from life’s stressful situations. When your mind can’t stop racing, try running on the treadmill for 20 minutes, lift some weights or swim some laps. You will be amazed how much better you feel after you release the tension from your body in a productive way.
- Increase energy levels: When you are tired, the last thing you want to do is workout. But regular exercise can actually give you more energy. When you exercise, your body is getting more oxygen to your tissues and cardiovascular system. When your heart and lungs are strong, you have more endurance to complete the daily tasks you might otherwise push to the side.
- Look good, feel good: Working out is a contributing factor to losing or maintaining weight. And what feels better or helps boost your self-confidence like finally fitting into an old pair of jeans or a having a friend notice you have lost weight?
- Sense of achievement: There is a sense of accomplishment that comes along with doing something productive with your time. When you finish a good workout, you can go about your day knowing that you have completed something important that will help improve your overall quality of life.
At Bronson, we're committed to advancing the health of our communities. We offer health and fitness facilities in Kalamazoo and South Haven to help people reach their health and wellness goals.
Bronson Athletic Club in Kalamazoo is for anyone working toward better health and an improved quality of life. Stay up to date with club news on the club's Facebook page. To schedule your free tour or become a member, call a membership rep at (269) 544-3200.
Bronson Wellness Center in South Haven combines fitness and nutrition programs to help make it easier for members to live a healthy lifestyle. Stay up to date with club news on the club's Facebook page. To schedule your free tour or become a member, call a membership advocate at (269) 639-2949.