Protect Yourself in the Cold and Snow This Winter
Protect yourself when venturing out in the cold and snow. Dr. Scott Davidson, a trauma surgeon at Bronson Hospital says it’s not only the strain on your muscles that should be a concern. Cold temperatures also present a challenge to your heart and lungs. In addition, Dr. Davidson cautions that injuries from accidental falls top the list of things they see this time of year. Here are some tips to help keep you safe all winter long:
- Layer up and make sure exposed skin is covered
- Choose footwear that provides good traction on snow and ice
- Pace yourself and warm up before you start shoveling
- Use your knees to bend, not your back
- Stay hydrated - cold air is dry air
Learn more about emergency and trauma and heart and vascular services at Bronson.