Red Lentil Tacos
Making healthy food choices is one way to Be Well and live a healthy lifestyle. At Bronson, we offer a variety of nutrition services for nearly every need. Check out this healthy recipe from our team of registered dietitians and nutrition educators.
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium or large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato and onion, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, plain Greek yogurt and/or salsa
- In a nonstick sauce pan, heat the olive until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add lentils, chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, prep your toppings.
- Uncover the lentils and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Test for tenderness, drain excess liquid and lightly mash lentils.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To make the tacos, place 3-4 tablespoons lentil mixture onto tortillas.
- Top with the toppings of your choice
Nutrition per serving (per two tacos)
299 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat fat, 41g carbohydrates, 16g protein, 12g fiber, 13mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium
Download a printable version of this recipe
To view more healthy recipes and nutrition-related information from the nutrition experts at Bronson, click here.