Published on November 18, 2014
Winter Safety Tips
- Avoid smooth surface shoes.
- Avoid high heel shoes.
- Wear boots and change into your shoes once you reach your destination.
- Focus on the environment.
- Avoid distractions like cell phones.
- Allow extra time.
- Avoid slippery surfaces if possible.
Adjust Your Stride:
- Walk flat footed.
- Shorten your stride.
- Spread your feet apart with toes pointed out like a penguin.
- Keep your hands out of your pockets while walking.
- Avoid walking on a slope if possible.
- Slow down and feel your way forward on curbs and slopes.
- When entering buildings, use the floor mats to remove snow.
- When entering and exiting vehicles inspect the surface, step down lightly to test the surface and use the vehicle for support.