Zucchini Burrito Boats
Making healthy food choices is one way to Be Well and live a healthy lifestyle. At Bronson, we offer a variety of nutrition services for nearly every need. Check out this healthy recipe from our team of registered dietitians and nutrition educators.
- ½ pound lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 6 medium zucchinis
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1½ cups prepared Spanish rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and partially mashed
- ¼-1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided, see steps 4 and 6)
- Optional: chopped cilantro or green onions
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Cook meat until thoroughly cooked and juice runs clear, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Wash zucchini and cut off the ends. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving 1/2 inch shells (boats).
- Rub the skin side of each boat lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the cooked meat, prepared Spanish rice, salsa, partially mashed black beans, corn and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Stuff each boat carefully with rice and veggie mixture, mounding the filling on top.
- Place stuffed boats on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top each boat with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender and filling is hot.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and/or green onions if desired.
Nutrition per serving (per 3 boat serving)
324 calories, 11g fat, 4g sat fat, 33g carbohydrates, 22g protein, 7g fiber, 55mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium
Download a printable version of this recipe
To view more healthy recipes and nutrition-related information from the nutrition experts at Bronson, click here.