Advance Care Planning
Have the Conversation
It may be tough to think about, but there may be a time when you cannot make healthcare decisions for yourself. No matter what your age, planning ahead for your future is important. Advance care planning is the process of realizing your values and wishes, and to let people know what kind of health and personal care you would want in the future if you were unable to speak for yourself. It involves discussing your healthcare choices with your loved ones and writing down your wishes in an advance directive document.
Learn why advance care planning is important for all of us:
Planning your future
You don't have to be a patient of Bronson to plan for your future healthcare. A serious accident or change in health could affect your ability to communicate in a meaningful way. Do you have somebody who could make medical decisions for you if you are ever unable to speak for yourself?
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is especially important that all adults have a healthcare plan in place.
- Complete or update your advance directive document. This is the formal way you identify a family member or friend to be your patient advocate. They only assist with decisions should your doctor determine that you are unable to make your own medical decisions. Find advance directive documents here.
- Have a conversation with your patient advocate(s) to explain what matters to you.
- What are some of the things you really enjoy doing? What gives your life special meaning? How would you like to live until you can’t?
- What abilities are so critical to your life that you can’t imagine living without them?
- Who or what helps you when you face serious challenges in your life? Do you have any beliefs that guide you when you make medical decisions?
- Educate and encourage your loved ones of all ages to take action! Share this website and resources.
How to Get Started
This guide can help you choose a patient advocate and talk to them about your future medical wishes. It includes all the steps to advance care planning plus a worksheet to help you identify your values. Download here.