Child Life Program
If your child has fear or anxiety about visiting the hospital or having a procedure, our child life specialists will be there every step of the way to bring comfort. You will find our certified team members throughout Bronson Children’s Hospital. Whether your child has to come in for an emergency, has a scheduled outpatient surgery or is hospitalized overnight, our child life specialists strive to make the visit as worry-free as possible. We also have child life specialists at Bronson Battle Creek's emergency department and for pediatric outpatient surgery.
Benefits of child life
Our program is designed to help your child feel more normal during a challenging time. Child life specialists help by:
- Providing emotional, psychological and social support
- Educating your child and family about procedures, surgeries and hospital routines in an honest and non-threatening way
- Evaluating your child’s developmental stage and identifying age appropriate activities -- from newborns to adolescents
- Helping you and your child communicate with hospital staff
- Interpreting the hospital experience in an age-appropriate way
- Providing you and your family with coping strategies to use during scary and painful procedures
- Providing opportunities for play, socializing, crafts and normal activities
- Using medical play, teaching dolls and pictures to help your child understand what is happening
- Easing the transition for your child from the hospital to home or school
Lending a hand
If you or your community group would like to make a donation of items needed at Bronson Children’s Hospital, call our child life specialist office at (269) 341-7742 for more information. Here is our current wish list. You must have an appointment for delivery. If you would like to make a financial gift, contact the Bronson Health Foundation.
Community members are sometimes allowed to visit the pediatric unit to work with our patients. The visits are limited to five members of an organization (special circumstances may allow more). All members must be older than 18 years. You will need to bring a hands-on activity including, but not limited to, seasonal crafts, interactive games, etc. Your group will also need to provide all necessary supplies. If your organization is interested in learning more about visiting, call (269) 341-7742.