Bronson Financial Assistance Plain Language Policy Summary
Financial Assistance Policy Printable & Translated Versions
Bronson’s Financial Assistance Program is for patients who are not able to pay. The patient may have already had emergency or medically necessary care.
You may be approved if:
- You are a resident of Michigan, Ohio, Illinois or Indiana
- You have income at or below 350% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
- You complete the Bronson Financial Assistance Application
- You provide the needed documents
Patients must apply within 240 days from the first billing statement.
Discounts are calculated from the Amounts Generally Billed (AGB). AGB is based on amounts received as reimbursement from insurance companies. Patients that are eligible for financial assistance will not be pay more than AGB.
Eligibility is determined using a sliding scale. The family income will be at or below 350 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) www.healthcare.gov/glossary/federal-poverty-level-FPL.
Bronson Battle Creek Hospital, Bronson LakeView Hospital, Bronson Methodist Hospital and Bronson South Haven Hospital
Family Income as a % of FPL Discount
Up to 200% 100%
Up to 250% 90%
Up to 300% 80%
Up to 350% 75%
Bronson’s financial assistance staff will review applications. The decision is made on the application information, income, and assets. Some additional conditions can be found in the full financial assistance policy.
Once a completed application is received, patients will have a decision within 30 business days. Discounts are calculated by the information received.
If more information is needed, the patient will receive a letter. The patient will have 10 business days to return the information.
For an application to be approved all documents must be submitted. If information is not correct, or another solution is found, Bronson may not be able to help.
Bronson gives care for emergency medical conditions even if the patient can’t pay. This is the law based on the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA).
Free copies of the policy, and application are available in English, Spanish, Arabic and Burmese. Copies are located in the emergency department, admitting and financial counselling areas. They may also be found on the website at www.bronsonhealth.com/financialassistance. To get copies in the mail, call Bronson billing at (800) 699-6117.
To apply for financial assistance or find out more about Bronson’s financial assistance program, contact Bronson billing or financial counselors:
Bronson Billing Department: (800) 699-6117
Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Bronson Financial Counseling: They are available on-site. They will assist with questions or the application process. They may be able to help with Medicaid applications.
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Bronson Battle Creek Hospital
(269) 245-8124 or located at the Outpatient Center entrance in the registration department. To the right, past the greeter’s desk.
- Bronson LakeView Hospital
(269) 657-1532 or located on the First floor. The North entrance in the outpatient registration area.
- Bronson Methodist Hospital
(269) 341-6120 located on the first floor. On the main campus behind main information desk.
- Bronson South Haven Hospital
(269) 639-2865 Located in the Cashier’s office is on the first floor. Across from the gift shop. Enter through the door marked Main Entrance and turn left.