Firework Safety Tips
HAVE A READY SOURCE OF WATER CLOSE BY
Have an accessible fire extinguisher, water supply, hose or bucket nearby for emergencies. A connected hose is the best water source. During any fireworks shoot, there should always be one individual assigned as the fireman, whose sole job is to be alert and at the ready with a water source in case of emergencies. Having a fireman at the ready is especially important during dry conditions or when there is any dried grass or brush in any close proximity to the shooting site.
Be cautious when lighting any fireworks during strong wind conditions. Fireworks should be lit with the prevailing wind blowing away from spectators. If there is a significant wind shift while you are lighting the fireworks, rearrange the shooting site to accommodate the wind shift or stop shooting until the windy conditions subside.
USE CARE IN HANDLING FIREWORKS
Do not carry fireworks in your pocket. It is preferable to keep the products in a closed container before ignition. Always be careful in handling fireworks to prevent dropping them. Never smoke when handling fireworks.
NEVER USE THE FIREWORKS AS WEAPONS
Never aim, point, or throw any fireworks at another person or at any property.
STORE AND DISPOSE OF FIREWORKS PROPERLY
Store fireworks in a cool, dry place and always dispose of them properly.
USE FIREWORKS OUTDOORS
Never use fireworks indoors. Only use them outdoors under safe conditions.
SPECIAL RELOADABLE RULES
Never use wet or damaged shell or launch tube. Insert shell all the way into the bottom of the tube, flat end down. Never force a shell into a tube. Use only one shell at a time. Wait at least 30 seconds between loading shells. Never ignite a shell outside of a launch tube. Never take the shell apart. Never relight a fuse that fails to ignite the device. After lighting the fuse, move a minimum of 20 feet from the launch tube.
PURCHASE FIREWORKS FROM RELIABLE DEALERS
Buy fireworks only from reliable, licensed consumer fireworks dealers. Licensed and reliable dealers will only carry those products that meet standards set and enforced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Do not use illegal explosives. Do not alter any firework device. Do not make your own fireworks.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES
Safety glasses are recommended for those individuals lighting the fireworks and those individuals in close proximity of the fireworks.
BE CAREFUL WITH ANIMALS
The noise and lights of the fireworks often frighten some animals, so it is very important that you are careful with pets and farm animals. You may want to consider moving the animals away or keeping them inside during your display. Please be considerate of your pets and animals when using fireworks.
BE CAREFUL WITH FIREWORKS NOT BEING USED
It is important to use great care with fireworks not being used that are in the vicinity of your launch zone. Sparks from active fireworks can ignite idle fireworks and cause injury. Cover unused fireworks or put them in a sealed container to prevent sparks from active fireworks inadvertently igniting the idle ones.
CHILDREN SHOULD NOT HANDLE FIREWORKS
Never let children handle, play with or light any fireworks. Fireworks are great family fun, but they burn very hot and are intended to be handled only by adults.
DO NOT USE ALCOHOL WITH FIREWORKS
Please do not consume any alcohol or use any drug while lighting or handling fireworks. Fireworks must only be used by individuals who act in a sober and responsible manner. If you are impaired in any way when you use the consumer fireworks, you increase the possibility of misuse and consequent injury to yourself and others.
FOLLOW THE LAWS; USE COMMON SENSE
Follow your local and state laws regarding the purchased, possession and use of consumer fireworks, and use good common sense when using the products. Read all directions, cautions, labels and warnings on each individual firework item to understand the product performance and hazards associated with it. Use only those fireworks permitted under the laws of the state and local jurisdiction in which you are using the fireworks.
USE FIREWORKS ON A HARD SURFACE
Light fireworks on a hard, flat and level surface to ensure the stability of the items. This is particularly important when using the taller items and those aerial items that produce a thrust upon ignition. Grass, gravel and sand surfaces are not suitable for any item intended to be used in an upright position.
USE IN A CLEAR, OPEN AREA
Always keep the audience (particularly children) a safe distance away from the shooting site. Always light your fireworks in a clear, open area away from buildings, vehicles and shrubbery. A minimum clear radius of 30 feet for fountains and other ground based items and 140 feet for any aerial product is recommended. You should avoid lighting the fireworks in any area where there is dry grass, brush or other flammable items nearby. Never use fireworks indoors. Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
KEEP CLEAR OF FIREWORKS
Never put your head or any part of your body over top of any fireworks product. Never look into a tube to check on the firework item. Never hold a lit fireworks item in your hand. Keep as far from the firework item as possible when lighting and get clear of the product as quickly as possible after ignition.
USE CARE IN LIGHTING THE FIREWORKS
Position yourself as far from the product as possible and extend your arm out using the extended lighting device. This method of lighting will permit you to keep as far from the firework item as possible, use a flashlight at night so you can see the fuse. Never use a lantern or other flame producing device near fireworks for illumination. Light the fireworks and get away as quickly as possible.
LIGHT ONE FIREWORK ITEM AT A TIME
Light only one firework item. Certain items, such a sparklers, when lit together will have a tendency to flare up in an uncontrollable and dangerous manner.
DO NOT USE MALFUNCTIONING OR “DUD” ITEMS
Never attempt to re-light, alter or fix any “dud” firework item. If a firework item fails to function when ignited, let it stand for at least five minutes, then immerse it in water. The item failed to function for some reason, so if you attempt to light it in a manner not intended, you compound the problem and create a dangerous situation. Dispose of the item properly.
Source: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)