Neurological Spine Surgery
Is back pain interfering with your life? If you’re suffering from a spinal condition, disease or injury, our neurosurgeons can help you get your life back.
Charles "CJ", Spine Surgery Patient
When CJ was hurt playing football, he was immediately taken by paramedics to his local hospital. From there, he was airlifted on Bronson for neurosurgery.
Dr. Gregory Wiggins Discusses CJ's Spine Surgery
Find out about the surgery performed to repair CJ's spinal fracture and restore him to full function.
Spine conditions can be a pain
Intense back pain can seriously impact your life. Our spine surgery team will help you find relief. Commonly treated conditions include:
If you need care for a condition not listed here, consult with one of our neurosurgery providers.
Innovative spine services and treatments
Our team specializes in complex neurosurgeries and is specially-trained to perform minimally invasive procedures so you have less pain, fewer scars and bleeding, and heal faster. These procedures allow you to return to doing the things you love sooner. Some of the innovative treatments and services we offer include:
- Endoscopic surgery – The technique of using a tube with a lens and a light source to look into a body cavity through a small opening. An endoscope is like a small camera that looks at the problem. The endoscope has a light source and is connected to a monitor. The surgery is performed while looking at the screen and actual target size is magnified more than 100 times.
- Joint injections – Medications are put directly into a joint using a needle to reduce your pain.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery – A type of surgery that helps you to heal faster and with less pain, scarring and blood loss because your surgeon uses smaller incisions than other surgical techniques. This approach can reduce the amount of blood you may lose and cause less harm to your surrounding muscles and tissues.
- Patient and consumer education – Materials, videos and classes before, during and after your surgery to help you to understand and prepare for your surgery and recovery
- Pediatric neurosurgery – Surgery for infants, children and teens to help treat conditions affecting the head, spine and nerves.
- Spinal fusion – Surgery to remove bone or tissue from the spinal canal (usually squeezing the spinal cord or spinal nerves) and permanently connect two or more vertebrae in your spine, eliminating motion between them. The surgery has many potential benefits for you including reducing pain, strengthening your spine and helping you move better.
Advanced spine surgery care
Your spine protects your central nervous system which controls many functions in your body. That's why when you need spinal surgery, it is essential to partner with the best experts available.
Dr. Gregory Wiggins performs innovative skull base surgery – a technique that can cause less damage to the delicate tissue surrounding a tumor or weakened artery in your brain. Ensuring a safe, effective recovery for you or your loved ones is our top goal and we have a track record to prove it. Bronson Methodist Hospital is currently ranked among the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for neurosurgery.
Class to prepare you for surgery
Are you having (or thinking about having) spine surgery at Bronson? Get to know common back and spine problems, self-help tips and details about before and after spine surgery with our free Bronson Spine Camp Class.