CenteringPregnancy® at Bronson
CenteringPregnancy® combines expert prenatal care with group support and is shown to improve the health of both moms and babies.
At this time, Centering is available to patients at Bronson Obstetrics, Gynecology & Midwifery Specialists.
Many of today’s moms are choosing CenteringPregnancy®. It’s a special way for you and your baby to get a happy, healthy start as a family.
CenteringPregnancy® at Bronson is a new type of prenatal care. Centering combines expert healthcare with education and group support. Centering is proven to reduce the risk of preterm birth and improve the health of both mom and baby.
How does CenteringPregnancy® work?
During weeks 12-16 of your pregnancy, you will meet with your Centering group for the first time. Your group will include 8-12 pregnant people who are due the same month as you.
Instead of traditional prenatal appointments, you will attend 10 sessions with your group throughout your pregnancy. These sessions last between 90 minutes and two hours each. You will know your group visit dates ahead of time so you can plan your schedule.
Each session includes:
A private check-up. At the beginning of each session, you will have a private check-up with a certified nurse-midwife from Bronson Obstetrics, Gynecology & Midwifery Specialists. You will hear your baby’s heartbeat and have your blood pressure, weight and belly measurements monitored.
Group learning and sharing. The rest of each session is spent with your Centering group. A midwife and co-facilitator will lead a discussion and talk about topics such as nutrition during pregnancy, labor and birth choices, breastfeeding and baby care.
What are the benefits of CenteringPregnancy®?
- Lower rate of preterm birth
- Reduced risk of low birth weight
- Higher rate of breastfeeding success
- Support and friendship with group members
Additional program highlights:
- Led by Bronson certified nurse-midwives and other healthcare experts
- More time with your healthcare provider
- More hours of prenatal education and support
- Private physical exams, lab tests, and ultrasounds
- Confidential group discussion*
- Ongoing support after your baby is born
- Pre-scheduled appointments so you can plan ahead for childcare, work and other commitments.
*All members of the group sign a confidentiality agreement at the beginning of the program.
Is it safe to attend Centering sessions during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Our top priority is to provide you with safe, exceptional care. That's why we have several measures in place to keep you protected during your Centering sessions:
- Patients and staff wear face masks
- Centering groups have fewer members
- Everyone maintains proper socially distancing
- At this time, your support person may not attend the sessions
Who is eligible to sign up for CenteringPregnancy® at Bronson?
Those who are pregnant and patients at Bronson Obstetrics, Gynecology & Midwifery Specialists.
Where do the Centering group sessions take place?
Gilmore Center for Health Education 7 Healthcare Plaza Kalamazoo, MI
In most cases, Centering costs the same as traditional prenatal care. Coverage is available through Medicaid and many private insurance providers.
How do I sign up?
Call Bronson Obstetrics, Gynecology & Midwifery Specialists in Kalamazoo at (269) 341-7979. You can also ask your provider about Centering during your first appointment with us.