We understand that the pain and swelling caused by lymphedema can make you feel very uncomfortable. Our specially trained therapists will work with you to manage your condition through therapy.
Lymphedema is a condition that causes severe, painful swelling, usually in the arms and legs. It occurs when the body has trouble circulating lymph, a clear fluid that surrounds cells and contains cell waste. The poor circulation causes lymph to back up, which results in the swelling.
Various diseases and conditions cause lymphedema. Common triggers include:
- Congestive heart failure
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Cancer treatment
- And more
Left untreated, lymphedema can lead to serious complications that include bacterial infections of the skin and infection of the lymph vessels. The smallest injury to an arm or leg can be an entry point for infection, which can cause inflammation and compromise the healing of tissue and wounds.
Lymphedema cannot be cured, but it can be managed.
Lymphedema Therapy Services and Treatments
At Bronson Rehabilitation, our occupational therapists use a variety of techniques to improve lymph circulation, including:
- Manual lymph drainage uses gentle massage to draw fluid out of the tissues and back into the lymphatic system.
- Compression bandaging and garments wrap the affected limbs to support circulation.
- Pneumatic pumps use inflatable "sleeves" to stimulate the flow of fluid.
- Education on the stages of lymphedema, monitoring and prevention techniques and treatment options.
Personalized Treatment Plan
Working with you, our team develops a treatment plan tailored for your specific needs. This plan is designed to help you return to the highest possible level of functioning.