Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation / Medical Spine
If you have back or neck pain, spine fractures or brain trauma, we’re the experts who can help you. Before you consider surgical options, you may want to work with our experts in nonsurgical options. They help with improving strength and movement of your spine while also decreasing pain. All without surgery.
Conditions we treat without surgery
Our doctors can help you with your back or neck condition. Commonly treated conditions include:
If you need care for a condition not listed here, consult with one of our neurosurgery providers.
Nonsurgical services and treatments
At Bronson, you will find nonsurgical treatments and services for your brain and spine health, including:
- Diagnostic imaging – X-rays, electromyography (EMG) and other tests to evaluate your back, neck and spine
- Spinal or joint injections – Using an X-ray, the doctor uses a needle to inject pain medicines around the area of the spine that may be causing pain. Sometimes this is used to treat pain, other times it’s used to find the cause of pain. You get to go home the same day
- Medications and pain management – There are many options available to manage your pain if you don’t opt for surgery
- Spasticity management – help for a condition that causes your muscles to contract continuously, which in turn can make movement difficult as well as complicate your ability to speak
- Spine therapy – Typically this means physical therapy focusing on strengthening the belly and back muscles, flexibility and learning to move in a way that protects your spine
- Trigger point injections – A pain management option using a needle to inject medicine into muscle to relieve pain from arthritis and similar conditions.
- Work and school reintegration – We help you manage how and when to return to driving and work after neurological injury or surgery
- Spine Camp – Are you thinking of or have you been scheduled for spine surgery at Bronson? If so, the online spine camp class can help answer your questions about spine surgery and what to expect before, during and after. You get information you need about spine surgery so you know how to prepare.
- Rehabilitation services – Coordinate multidisciplinary physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy at four locations: two in Kalamazoo, one in Paw Paw and one in Vicksburg.