Bone Density Scan
Are you experiencing bone loss? Bone density scanning is used to measure bone loss and diagnose osteoporosis. Using an enhanced form of X-ray technology, we are able to measure your bone mineral density (BMD). The test is painless and takes about 10-20 minutes.
Bone density conditions we treat
- Osteopenia – decrease of bone mass
- Osteoporosis – a condition where the creation of bone tissue slows down, causing bones to become fragile and weak
Bone density scan services
- Assess risk for developing bone fractures
- Help prevent further bone loss. Diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and estrogen therapy are the first steps toward prevention.
- Measure bone density. The test provides a doctor with a T-score. A T-score shows how much your bone mass varies or deviates from the bone mass of an average health 30 year old. It helps show your bone health.
- Treatments are available that can help prevent or slow down osteoporosis. Medicine, in addition to calcium and vitamin D supplements, can slow bone loss. Newer treatments may also help to ease any pain associated with osteoporosis. Talk to your doctor about the best treatment option for you.
To schedule an appointment for a bone density scan
- Battle Creek: Central Scheduling (269) 245-8666
- Kalamazoo and Paw Paw area: Central Scheduling (269) 341-8700 or (888) 741-6415
- South Haven: Testing & Imaging (269) 639-2828, option 1
To learn more about specific bone density scan procedures, visit the Bone Density Scan page at radiologyinfo.org.