Job shadowing is a short-term informal observation experience of a healthcare provider.
Job shadowing introduces an observer to specific healthcare career(s) through the supervised observation of a healthcare provider. The goal is to assist the observer with making a healthcare career choice. The observation experience is appropriate for:
- People at least 18 years of age
- People who are exploring healthcare careers
- Short term experiences (maximum of 40 hours, most shadows are 8-10 hours in total)
Job shadowing is not:
- An opportunity to actively participate in patient care or practice clinical skills
- A formal educational experience (student practicum or internship)
- Part of the interview process of a potential employee
- Intended for international providers or professionals working toward US licensure.
- Shadowing is also not available for medical students, you must apply for an observership through WMU School of Medicine.
Bronson Shadowing Requirements
The observer must contact and make arrangements directly with a healthcare provider.
All requests for job shadowing must be received four to six weeks prior to the observation day(s).
Requests are considered on an individual basis. Bronson is not able to honor all requests.
Approval of the request is at the discretion of the office or department manager(s), with consideration of the unit’s staffing resources, the nature of the patient population and the procedures performed.
For patient, staff and observer safety; the observer will meet Bronson’s minimum work requirements at the observer’s expense including:
- MMR - measles, mumps, rubella
- Tdap - tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- TB test
- Flu shot: Required December through March
- A 10-Panel, non-regulated drug screen and/or a background check for high-risk areas
- Review the Student Orientation Information packet
- Obtain a student observer ID badge
Email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or sign into Clinician Nexus, create a student account, and submit a request for the Bronson job shadow experience.
Rehabilitation services offers a limited number of observation opportunities during traditional fall, winter and summer semesters. Applications are accepted in the months of January, May and August. Space is limited and will be filled first-come, first-served and based on staff availability. The student must commit to a minimum of 16 hours. He or she must have completed a minimum of two years of college and applying to a school of:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech and language pathology
Email Emily at email@example.com for more information, or create a student account at Clinician Nexus and submit a request for the Bronson rehab job shadow/observation experience.